Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Patience Is A Virtue...Just Not One of Mine

Surprises aren't really something I enjoy. At work, in fact, being the cause of a surprise is one of the worst things you can do...especially avoidable ones. I suppose I have similar feelings about surprises in my personal life, even when it comes to good surprises like Christmas gifts and finding out the sex of your unborn children. I would much prefer to have all of that information as soon as possible. Let's just say that I have an affinity for immediate gratification.

During my lifetime only a few birthday and Christmas gifts have truly been surprising, which is just fine to me. This is mostly because I pester people so much that they end up telling me or giving me hints that I'm able to follow-up on. And of course, if they won't tell you then there are other investigative techniques that can be employed. When I was a kid I learned of most of the spots where Christmas gifts were hidden and these days a quick review of web browser history and cookies and yield a few hints.

I pretty much have the same view in regard to finding out the sex of your children prior to their birth. To all those people who say they want the sex to be a surprise when the baby is born, I have news: It will still be a surprise when you find out in the obstetrician's office. I know this is a very personal decision and I certainly don't criticize anyone for wanting to wait until the big day...but I guess I just have not heard a rationale for waiting that has resonated with me. For the most part Sarah has agreed with me, enough so that we've discovered the sex of both of our two kids prior to their births. Although we've not decided whether or not we'll have a third child, Sarah has floated the idea of waiting next time. So I may have to brush up on my patience skills if we have a third. They say patience is a virtue…its just not one of mine.

4 Comments:

At Thu Jul 29, 03:19:00 PM EDT, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I am so with you on this one!!

 
At Sat Jul 31, 08:22:00 AM EDT, Blogger Val said...

Ryan, during my sister's first pregnancy she did not want to know but my bro-in-law did. He kept the secret from her successfully even when she decorated for a boy and ultimately had a girl as he had been told. It seems like all that defeated the purpose, but I am still impressed by his ability to stand firm.

 
At Mon Aug 02, 12:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger Clarissa said...

I wanted to know, desperately, but 3 times out of 4 they just couldn't tell. The wait was horrendous.

 
At Mon Aug 02, 08:23:00 PM EDT, Blogger John Owens said...

Well, I"m single, so the baby thing doesn't apply to me. However, I am always trying to find out whatever information I can, about whatever I topic I can. I have even been known to unwrap Christmas presents, then re-wrap them and place them in their original spot under the tree. I guess there is the work of an investigator, and the work of a spy. If the CIA only knew about my skills, I'd be a top agent. Now that I've put this on the internet, they'll probably call me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home