Saturday, June 19, 2004

Parenting Styles: Right, Wrong, or Neither

When Sarah and I found out that "we" were pregnant with our daughter Sydney it was quite a shock. We were very excited but we also had a natural amount of anxiety about being new parents. However, my anxiety was a little more selfish than Sarah's. I tended to be more concerned about how life was going to change for me and Sarah was more concerned about being a good mother. Her reaction led to lots of reading...dozens of books covering every perspective.

It was during this time that I was first exposed to the baby-wise versus attachment-parenting controversy. What sent up the red flag for me was that the proponents of each of these two perspectives seemed to have it all figured out. In my thirty-two years I've learned to be very suspicious of anything that purports to have perfected an approach to, or an interpretation of, any particular subject. Call is a healthy level of cynicism.

I didn't really develop my current perspective on this issue until after our second child, Jack, was born. Our first child, Sydney, is an EXTREMELY high-energy, high-maintenance child. Despite much effort to the contrary she has taken approximately ten naps in her entire life. Until Jack was born I often thought that this behavior was as a result of poor parenting but Jack proved that wrong. From the moment that Jack emerged into this world it was clear that he was the polar opposite of Sydney. He would nurse for long periods of time whereas Sydney would be distracted at the slightest noise. The list of contrasting personality traits could go on and on. The point is this: these two kids have very different personalities which require different approaches to parenting.

Not because we subscribe to any author's point of view but Sarah and I tend to naturally have attachment-parenting tendencies. I don't condemn the baby-wise approach at all but I am concerned by the fact that it seems to be applied in most situations as a one-size-fits-all parenting philosophy. If I were professional parent, which I am not, I would be able to identify my child’s needs and adjust my approach on-the-fly. In my case, it would probably mean that I would apply attachment-parenting principles with Sydney and more structured and scheduled techniques with Jack. This has not happened because, in the end, parenting has often been more about what is easiest for me and my wife than what is the absolute best for our kids. My suspicion and my earnest prayer is that despite what I do, or don’t do, everything will work out fine. God is in control.

4 Comments:

At Sun Jun 20, 11:25:00 AM EDT, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Rhino-
Awesome thoughts. We agree--and have seen it to be true ourselves. Ella and Maddie are so different. The baby wise person must only have one child--or a child and a clone or something. AND--Shelly, don't you think it's time you got that parenting experience??? WHEN????

 
At Mon Jun 21, 10:45:00 AM EDT, Blogger Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

We've had some good success with our Bee Dub (Baby Wise) babies. But then again, we weren't the BW Army Generals that followed EVERY rule. Each child was a little unique but the plan worked for us. The key is that I believe you have to parent from your heart regardless of what style you use. We had success but not every likes it. That doesn't make our babies Jedi Knights and yours from the Evil Empire. They are all great blessings from God. Mine just take good naps when they are supposed to! HA (most of the time)

 
At Mon Jun 21, 12:04:00 PM EDT, Blogger Clarissa said...

I'm a big believer in the fact that, at such a young age, babies know exactly what they need. If they're sleeping, I let them sleep. My experience with attempting 'babywise' with our first child was that when we attempted to wake her from a sound sleep to eat at three hour intervals she wouldn't stay awake to eat, anyway. Let the poor kiddos sleep when they want (and grab a few z's of your own) and feed them when they're hungry. It seems pretty simple to me! My crying checklist: 1)check diaper. 2)attempt to feed. 3)attempt to put to sleep (self-soothing, rocking, whatever you can live with.) 4)if none of the above succeed, check their temperature. 5)if temp is normal, just try to let them play (or play WITH them or read to them) -- eventually they'll get sleepy or hungry.

Did have to use the Farber method on one of our kids to get them to sleep -- don't even remember which one it was at this point. But eventually children quit crying at bedtime, and life just forges right on.

 
At Wed Jul 14, 10:33:00 AM EDT, Blogger Lovell's Lookout said...

Rayn - Found your blog off BST's. My sentiments exactly on the parenting thing. We have four, 4 and under. We had twins a little over a year ago and have put to test all the theories you have mentioned. We continue to pray to God for divine wisdom and revelation on each child because they are each so different. It is scary that so many people ascribe to one of these parenting theories and treat them as gospel i.e. this is absolute truth. I am like you, when people arive at a place where "I have figured this out, this is the only way." I proceed with caution. God Bless you as you continue the journey...it is such a blast...Ty Lovell

 

Post a Comment

<< Home