Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Boxers Are Not Underwear!

One night when I was three years old I realized that my dad didn't wear pajamas like I did. I have very specific memories during that time of my life of wearing pajama pants with built-in footies. The sole of these footies was made of plastic and essentially acted as a foot-sweat receptacle. If that sounds awful, you now understand why the realization that my dad wore only his tighty-whities to bed made me want to do the same. Every day since that day I've been a brief man.

When I hear guys talk about boxers versus briefs it makes me crazy. There is absolutely no comparison to be made here. It's like comparing ski jacket versus t-shirt. Yes, they both cover your torso but they are not exactly interchangeable garments, are they? To put this in perspective for all the females, the argument that boxer shorts are just another kind of underwear is like saying that a t-shirt is just another kind of bra. Sounds pretty ridiculous, doesn't it?

At the risk of stating the obvious, let me just say that the real issue here is the "gird factor." Pasted directly from the Merriam Webster web site, the word gird is defined as: (1) to encircle or bind with a flexible band (as a belt); to make fast (as a sword by a belt or clothing with a cord); SURROUND, (2) PROVIDE, EQUIP; especially : to invest with the sword of knighthood, (3) to prepare (oneself) for action; intransitive senses: to prepare for action; gird one's loins: to prepare for action: muster up one's resources.

Now the idea of the flexible bands mentioned in that definition makes me wince but I think you now understand how I define the purpose of underwear. Boxer shorts do not do any of these things. The few times that I have worn boxer shorts I felt like I was simply wearing a pair of shorts under my pants. Ironically, I was. So, the truth is that boxer shorts are shorts not underwear.

10 Comments:

At Wed Jun 09, 02:09:00 AM EDT, Blogger Tim Castle said...

Okay, I'm with you. But let's also be clear about this: boxer shorts aren't outerwear, either. Anyone who walks around wearing boxer shorts out there for God and everybody to see (whether or not they're properly "girded" underneath) should be shooed back home to put on some proper clothing. It's shameful to be prancing about with only a single button along an altogether-too-long opening between you and indecent exposure.

This goes double for women.

 
At Wed Jun 09, 09:28:00 AM EDT, Blogger Jeff said...

Amen Ryan! Boxers just don't work. My nine-year-old son wears boxers. I just can't figure out where I've gone wrong as a father.

Jeff

 
At Wed Jun 09, 10:49:00 AM EDT, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

good grief! I, personally, prefer boxers. The Galations does state... "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free." Also in 2 Corinthians... "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." I am a Bible banging, faith walking, free...well, freedom lovin, man.

How do boxer briefs play into this whole thing?

 
At Wed Jun 09, 12:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger Ryan Williamson said...

Boxer briefs are a sad substitution for briefs. They would be better called girdless briefs rather than boxer briefs.

 
At Wed Jun 09, 03:39:00 PM EDT, Blogger believingthomas said...

Long story on how I got to your blog... but Brandon's references got me here. My dad wore tighty whities too. Another of his bad choices I choose not to follow. As Kramer said, "I'm out there and I'm Loving it!" All, I can say is look pictures of two old guys (or 30 something-year-olds) wearing both types... no question which to choose. Do you wear speedo's to swim in? And NO, I don't have any pictures to share.

 
At Thu Jun 10, 05:47:00 PM EDT, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

OK, OK---so boxers may not be underwear. Where's the next witty blog?? I am suffering from withdrawals here. Get crackin! Also--are you guys coming out here this summer?

 
At Thu Jun 10, 05:59:00 PM EDT, Blogger Clarissa said...

John 8:32 -- "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you FREE!"

Real men wear boxers.

 
At Thu Jun 10, 11:23:00 PM EDT, Blogger Tim Castle said...

Funny.... there is a curious silence on the issue from those who "go commando."

 
At Fri Jun 11, 09:53:00 AM EDT, Blogger Clarissa said...

Perhaps they were shocked that a woman dared comment on this thread? My daddy always slept in boxers, and he was decently covered. He always wore them, except I remember my mom telling me he had to wear briefs with his powder blue baby cord suit because the boxers showed through the pants. Was in the 80's.

Also, when men have fertility problems (not a problem at my house!) one of the first recommendations is, if you wear briefs, switch to boxers.

 
At Fri Jun 11, 12:28:00 PM EDT, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Tim Castle--you scare me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home